Thursday, July 8, 2010

Steps three to six of the quilt

If you remember my last quilt update, I had finished sewing my 324 6" squares into 108 rows of 3.
(3) This morning I sewed all my rows of three into 36 nine-piece squares. I was very specific in the placement of the colours in the squares. You will see the reason in a minute.



(4) I then took all of the nine patches and cut them into quarters (I found it easiest to fold the square in half and iron a crease, then do the same for the other direction. It was much simpler than trying to measure the exact middle.



(5) After the pieces were cut, I had to lay them painstakingly on the floor and figure out which design I wanted to create.I knew that I needed 12 blocks by 12 blocks. It took me quite a while before I was happy with it. I'm not good at "random", so I put them the way I wanted them, and then changed a few out here and there to create a more random feel.



(6)When I finally got all the pieces where I wanted them, I made stacks for each row, using sticky notes to indicate the top and outside edges of each row, so there would be no confusion when I'm sewing. Lastly, I used binding clips to hold each row together. I now have a nice neat stack ready for me to start sewing in the morning.


No comments:

Followers